- Title: Classics by the sea: Grammy-winning cellist Yo-Yo Ma plays in Lebanon
- Date: 25th August 2019
- Summary: SETTING OF BYBLOS INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL'S STAGE / YO-YO MA'S CONCERT ON-GOING YO-YO MA PLAYING CELLO YO-YO MA PERFORMING ON STAGE WITH SCREEN SHOWING PERFORMANCE
- Embargoed: 8th September 2019 14:46
- Keywords: Lebanese festivals Yo-Yo Ma Byblos festival classic music concerts Lebanon concerts
- Location: BYBLOS, LEBANON
- City: BYBLOS, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA007ATPUFRP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Renowned Chinese-American cellist Yo-Yo Ma performed in Lebanon on Saturday (August 24), picking the picturesque, seaside city of Byblos as one of his 36 stops in his world-wide tour of The Bach Project.
For over two hours, with no intermission, Ma interpreted on the six suites for Unaccompanied Cello of Johann Sebastian Bach, with the cellist delivering his melodies to hundreds of people in the audience at the Byblos International Festival.
Ma passionately played his tunes while surrounded by the sea and the ruins of the ancient coastal city.
He is known as one of the world's best classic cellists and has won 19 Grammy Awards.
Among his audience in Lebanon were fans of him who came from across the country and others who were being introduced to his work for the first time.
But Ma's The Bach Project offers international audiences more than just music, it also aims to create a cultural connection between people by holding what it describes as a 'day of action' at each stop.
Lebanon's Day Of Action with Yo-Yo Ma is taking place on Sunday (August 25) in various spots across the capital Beirut.
Before wrapping his concert, the world-famous musician played "Tayf" by Mashrou' Leila, in an act seen as supportive to the Lebanese band.
Mashrou' Leila's concert, scheduled during the same festival, was axed after church pressure and death threats.
(Production: Imad Creidi, Yara Abi Nader)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.