- Title: Shop windows smashed as protest chaos grips Hong Kong
- Date: 25th August 2019
- Summary: TSUEN WAN DISTRICT, HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 25, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) PROTESTERS RUNNING BEFORE STOPPING AND BACKING AWAY PROTESTER THROWING BOTTLE AT POLICE, POLICE DRAWING GUN AT PROTESTERS, JOURNALISTS RUNNING TOWARDS POLICE PROTESTERS STANDING OUTSIDE A CLOSED STORE PROTESTER TRYING TO PRY OPEN SHUTTERS OF STORE PROTESTER SMASHING WINDOW WITH FIRE EXTINGUISHER AND POLE PROTESTERS STANDING WITH UMBRELLAS
- Embargoed: 8th September 2019 17:11
- Keywords: Hong Kong China protesters vandalizing grafiti smashed window police
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATPUWCN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Clashes stretched into the night in Hong Kong's Tsuen Wan District on Sunday (August 25) where a group of protesters were seen running after police officers, who then drew their guns.
Protesters moved from Yueng Uk Road to Sha Tsui Street at night fall after a clamp down from rounds of tear gas in the Chinese-ruled city.
A group of people tried to pry open a store entrance and smashed a shopfront window along Sha Tsui Street, in a neighbourhood that reportedly houses a triad group that had attacked protesters weeks ago with wooden poles.
There was a sense of chaos across swathes of the Kowloon peninsula, over the harbour from the main island of Hong Kong, with police sirens blaring, tear gas wafting throughout densely populated areas and running clashes on the streets.
The protests, which started over a now-suspended extradition bill and evolved into demands for greater democracy, have rocked Hong Kong for three months and plunged the city into its biggest political crisis since the handover.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Tyrone Siu, Juarawee Kittisilpa, Rosalind Church)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None