- Title: Merkel says we need to explore all ways of reducing Iran tensions
- Date: 25th August 2019
- Summary: BIARRITZ, FRANCE (AUGUST 25, 2019) (REUTERS) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL ARRIVING FOR NEWS BRIEFING JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "In the end the question is: can we succeed in finding a way to prevent a further escalation. Because if nothing happens then we will have to fear that Iran reneges even further on its (nuclear deal) commitments in September. Or can we manage a reverse development in which Iran readheres to the JCPOA obligations plus step by step further talks with Iran." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "This was the topic of yesterday's talks. As they took place including all the involved, now also talks were sought between the French and the Iranian foreign minister. That is practically a parallel event at the same location, but not a G7-event." JOURNALIST TAKING NOTES (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "I felt well informed about (the arrival of Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif), in good time - I can't really say if you had already spotted the plane or not, but in any case we were informed at short notice. There are no plans to meet the foreign minister myself." JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "There are - and this also includes (Japanese Prime Minister) Shinzo Abe as well for example, who was in Iran - several G7-countries that have direct contacts with Iran, constantly. That these talks would have a prolongation today was not foreseeable yesterday evening. I didn't know about it and now we will see how things develop." MERKEL LEAVING
- Embargoed: 8th September 2019 18:04
- Keywords: Merkel G7 Iran de-escalation Zarif nuclear deal
- Location: BIARRITZ, FRANCE
- City: BIARRITZ, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATPTTMV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:German Chancellor Angela Merkel said talks between the Iranian and French foreign ministers on Sunday (August 25) were a side event to the G7 summit and every opportunity should be seized to resolve tensions between the United States and Iran.
"We have to find a way to de-escalate - if not we have to fear that Iran reneges even further on its (nuclear deal) commitments even further in September," Merkel told reporters.
She said she had only been informed at short notice that Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif would arrive for talks in Biarritz.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None