- Title: Hezbollah leader says Israel should be on high alert after Beirut, Syria attacks
- Date: 25th August 2019
- Summary: AL-AIN, BEKAA, LEBANON (AUGUST 25, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HEZBOLLAH SUPPORTERS WAVING LEBANESE AND GROUP'S FLAGS DURING THE RALLY
- Embargoed: 8th September 2019 19:34
- Keywords: Lebanon Hezbollah Nasrallah Israel Syria Beirut drone attack
- Location: AL-AIN, BEKAA AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION, LEBANON
- City: AL-AIN, BEKAA AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00DATPSLDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The leader of Lebanon's Iran-backed Hezbollah vowed to down any Israeli drones in Lebanese airspace and warned Israel's military to be ready for a response after what he said was an Israeli drone attack in Beirut on Sunday (August 25).
Hassan Nasrallah's words also followed overnight strikes claimed by Israel that he said killed two members of Hezbollah forces in Syria.
He said that what he called a suicide attack by a self-destructing drone before dawn on Sunday in Beirut's Hezbollah-dominated southern suburbs was intended for a specific target.
Israel has not claimed the Beirut drone incident. It said its strike in Syria on Saturday night (August 24) had thwarted an Iranian-led drone attack on Israel.
Nasrallah said the Beirut incident was the first Israeli attack inside Lebanon since a month-long war in 2006 between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon. It marked "the first clear, big, dangerous, breach of the rules of engagement drawn up in 2006" after the end of that conflict, he said.
(Production: Karamallah Daher, Imad Creidi, Yara Abi Nader)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.