- Title: Hezbollah holds funeral for two fighters killed by Israeli strikes in Syria
- Date: 26th August 2019
- Summary: SOUTHERN SUBURBS OF BEIRUT, LEBANON (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) PEOPLE GATHERING AT FUNERAL AND CHANTING RELIGIOUS SLOGANS MEN CHANTING "DEATH TO ISRAEL" HEZBOLLAH FLAG
- Embargoed: 9th September 2019 17:30
- Keywords: Lebanon Hezbollah Syria Israel Mideast security funeral
- Location: SOUTHERN SUBURBS OF BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: SOUTHERN SUBURBS OF BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATUW18N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The funerals of two Hezbollah fighters killed in drone strikes took place in Beirut on Monday (August 26), amid threats by the group to retaliate against Israel.
A pair of drones crashed on Sunday (August 25) in Beirut's southern suburbs, which are dominated by Hezbollah, prompting the group to warn Israeli soldiers at the border to await a response. Lebanon's President Michel Aoun on Monday likened the drone strikes to "a declaration of war".
Although Israel has not claimed responsibility for the Beirut attack, Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah described it as the first Israeli attack inside Lebanon since a one-month war his movement fought with Israel in 2006.
A Hezbollah media center in the southern Beirut suburb of Dahyeh had its glass windows blown out by one of the two drones when it exploded.
Israel's military said its northern command, responsible for the borders with Syria and Lebanon, was on elevated alert.
(Production: Issam Abdallah/Hywel Davies)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None