- Title: "We're not afraid, we are aware" - Israelis living on border with Lebanon
- Date: 26th August 2019
- Summary: KIRYAT SHMONA, ISRAEL (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) ISRAELI IRON DOME ANTI MISSILE BATTERY SYSTEM METULA, ISRAEL (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) SUN RISES OVER BORDER AREA BETWEEN ISRAEL AND LEBANON KIRYAT SHMONA, ISRAEL (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ISRAELI IRON DOME ANTI MISSILE BATTERY SYSTEM METULA, ISRAEL (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPERS BASE LEBANON AS SEEN FROM ISRAELI SIDE OF THE BORDER LEBANESE BUILDINGS AS SEEN FROM ISRAELI SIDE OF THE BORDER ISRAELI-LEBANESE BORDER BORDER AREA NEAR MOUNT HERMON, GOLAN HEIGHTS (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) ISRAELI FORCES PREPARING AMMUNITION ISRAELI FORCES, TANKS, AND AMMUNITION ISRAELI FORCES PREPARING AMMUNITION AND EQUIPMENT ISRAELI VEHICLE CARRYING AMMUNITION ISRAEL SOLDIER LAYING NEAR AMMUNITION AND EQUIPMENT KIRYAT SHMONA, ISRAEL (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) ISRAELIS WALKING INTO PASTRY HOUSE PASTRY CHEF SETTING PASTRY ON DISPLAY WOMAN AND KIDS IN PASTRY SHOP (SOUNDBITE) (English) OZ SHACHARI, 25, ISRAELI CIVILIAN FROM A NEAR BY KIBBUTZ, SAYING: "I don't really feel the tense here in the border, we live normally, we go, we have fun, we go to the river, we go, we go to restaurant, we have a lot of fun, and travels and everything next to the border" BUSINESSES OPEN FOR SERVICE ISRAELI SOLDIERS AT ICE-CREAM SHOP (SOUNDBITE) (English) YANIV ELHADIF, 44, ISRAELI CIVILIAN, SAYING: "We are not afraid, we are aware. I am living right on the fence but I was born into it, never knew anything else. I can't say again that I'm afraid of them, they're constantly provoking us, they come and they shake our fences, they cut them, they constantly put us on alert. So we're always with one ear and one eye open." NEAR MOUNT HERMON, GOLAN HEIGHTS (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ISRAELIS SITTING IN INFLATABLE RAFT
- Embargoed: 9th September 2019 12:11
- Keywords: Israel Golan Heights Lebanon Syria border tension
- Location: METULA AND KIRYAT SHMONA ISRAEL / NEAR MOUNT HERMON, GOLAN HEIGHTS
- City: METULA AND KIRYAT SHMONA ISRAEL / NEAR MOUNT HERMON, GOLAN HEIGHTS
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATUUJIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli forces were on alert on Monday (August 26) as tensions mount at the border with Lebanon.
Early on Monday, Israeli drone strikes hit a military position belonging to an Iranian-backed Palestinian faction in Lebanon's Bekaa valley near the Syrian border.
An official in the Palestinian faction said the strikes were an Israeli "provocation" only hours after Hezbollah's leader warned his Iran-backed movement was preparing a response to an Israeli drone attack in Beirut on Sunday (August 25).
The head of Lebanon's heavily armed Shi'ite Muslim Hezbollah movement, Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, also vowed in his Sunday speech to bring down any Israeli drones that come into Lebanon's airspace.
As Israeli forces go into high alert, civilians living at the border say they are aware but are not afraid,
Shops were open and people went about their daily business.
(Production: Rami Amichay, Rahaf Ruby, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None