- Title: Chinese and Iranian foreign ministers meet in Beijing amidst tensions with U.S.
- Date: 26th August 2019
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (AUGUST 26, 2019) (AGENCY POOL) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTER WANG YI AND IRANIAN FOREIGN MINISTER MOHAMMAD JAVAD ZARIF SHAKING HANDS, EMBRACING, SMILING AND POSING FOR MEDIA CHINA-IRAN BILATERAL TALKS IN PROGRESS WANG SPEAKING ZARIF SPEAKING WANG SPEAKING, CHINESE AND IRANIAN OFFICIALS SITTING ZARIF SPEAKING
- Embargoed: 9th September 2019 11:37
- Keywords: China Iran Mohammad Javad Zarif Wang Yi foreign ministers U.S. sanctions trade war
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATUS9C7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi held talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in Beijing on Monday (August 26), at a time when both countries are embroiled in tensions with the U.S.
Wang and Zarif shook hands and warmly embraced before sitting down for a bilateral meeting inside west Beijing's Diaoyutai State Guesthouse.
Zarif's visit to China came after he surprised many by joining French President Emmanuel Macron for talks in Biarritz on Sunday (August 25) on the sidelines of the G7 gathering.
U.S. President Donald Trump, who has been a sharp critic of China on trade and Iran's nuclear deal, offered an olive branch to China after days of intense feuding over trade and opened the door to diplomacy on Iran.
Trump said he believed China wanted to make a trade deal after it contacted U.S. trade officials overnight to say it wanted to return to the negotiating table, and indicated an openness to discussions with Iran on a nuclear deal and said he was not looking for regime change.
(Production: Wang Shubing, Martin Pollard)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None