- Title: Dog days of summer: Croatian pups and owners compete in beach race
- Date: 26th August 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) COMPETITION ORGANISER, RUBY MONTANARI, SAYING: "Not only is this competition growing, but we're actually getting people asking us about it all year long. They all want to take part, they were very disappointed to hear that last year actually we moved to another location. But we do want to get around as much as we can, so we can get many more different people to hear about this, and many more people involved. And dogs." DOGS AND THEIR OWNERS RUNNING DOGS AND OWNERS SWIMMING WOMAN FILMING WITH MOBILE PHONE VARIOUS OF DOGS COMPETING IN ICE CREAM EATING (SOUNDBITE) (English) COMPETITION ORGANISER, RUBY MONTANARI, SAYING: "We've also had many more competing for the fastest ice cream eater and the fastest wine drinker this year. And overall we are very, very happy with how the dogs are handling all the competition." TRAY WITH BOTTLES OF CANINE DRINKS CALLED "PAWSECCO" MONTANARI STARTING DOG WINE DRINKING COMPETITION / DOGS DRINKING VARIOUS OF DOGS DRINKING WINNER OF WINE DRINKING CONTEST, BONZI, RECEIVING HIS MEDAL (SOUNDBITE) (Croatian) OWNER OF BONZI, WINNING DOG IN WINE DRINKING CONTEST, BRANKO, SAYING: "We had a lot of preparation, we spent the entire summer drinking wine to win this competition, and we are happy with winning first place. Thank you." SUNSET BY BEACH WITH GIRL ON SWING AND DOG PASSING BY
- Embargoed: 9th September 2019 10:09
- Keywords: dog race dogs and owners Croatia race
- Location: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA
- City: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA
- Country: Croatia
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA003ATUUW55
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Almost two dozen dogs accompanied by their owners competed on Sunday (August 25) in what has become a traditional end-of-summer race hosted by one of Croatia's few dog-friendly beaches.
The race, which returned to the northern Adriatic town of Crikvenica after it was held for two years on the nearby island of Rab, includes a short running and swimming course, with the fastest dog-owner tandems winning special treats such as canine wine dubbed "Pawsecco" and ice cream. The owners had to do with normal wine.
This year, the race was won by a returning champion and 2017 winner, Nimbus, a large athletic seven-year-old mutt, despite being distracted by female competitors.
For dogs more keen on candy than swimming, the event also included a competition for fastest ice-cream eating and drinking of canine wine. All four-legged athletes were rewarded with special treats.
The winner of those competitions this year were labradors Simba and Bonzi who finished their treats within minutes.
It was a fitting end for another hot summer season on the Adriatic where every dog has its day - at least in Crikvenica.
(Production: Boris Kavic, David Spaic, Malgorzata Wojtunik)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None