- Title: Asia shares sink as trade fears mount
- Date: 26th August 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF STOCK EXCHANGE STAFF WORKING
- Embargoed: 9th September 2019 04:40
- Keywords: trade war Japan Hang Seng China stock Asia South Korea Hong Kong Nikkei market
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN/ SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA/HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN/ SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA/HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Various
- Topics: Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA002ATUS3T3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Asian shares sank on Monday (August 26) as the latest salvo in the Sino-U.S. trade war shook confidence in the world economy and sent investors steaming to the safe harbours of sovereign bonds, gold, and the Japanese yen.
Japan's Nikkei lost 2.3%, while Shanghai blue chips fell 1.2%.
In South Korea, stocks opened lower with the Korea Composite Stock Price Index (KOSPI) down 33.20 points or 1.70 percent to 1,915.10 points as of 0110 GMT.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index dropped 3% in morning trade, potentially also reflecting anxieties over a flare-up in violent anti-government protests in the city.
Protests on Sunday (August 25) saw some of the fiercest clashes yet between police and demonstrators since violence escalated in mid-June over a now-suspended extradition bill that would have allowed Hong Kong people to be sent to mainland China for trial.
(Production: Kwiyeon Ha, Minwoo Park, Ebrahim Harris)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.