- Title: Asia shares sink as trade fears mount
- Date: 26th August 2019
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE (TSE) SIGN READING (English): "JPX / TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE" INTERIOR OF TSE NIKKEI 225 INDEX ON ELECTRONIC TICKER BOARD ELECTRONIC TICKER BOARDS SHOWING STOCK INFORMATION ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING EXCHANGE RATE OF JAPANESE YEN WITH USD VARIOUS OF TSE STAFF WORKING JPX LOGO INTERIOR OF TSE REVOLVING STOCK PRICE TICKER SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC ON SEOUL STREET INTERIOR OF TRADING ROOM AT KEB HANA BANK ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING KOREA COMPOSITE STOCK PRICE INDEX (KOSPI) DEALERS WORKING AT DESKS ELECTRONIC BOARDS SHOWING KOSPI INDEX AND USD/KRW EXCHANGE RATE VARIOUS OF DEALERS WORKING HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) HONG KONG EXCHANGE SQUARE STOCK MARKETS TICKER DISPLAY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING HONG KONG EXCHANGE LOGO HONG KONG STOCK EXCHANGE ENTRANCE SCREEN DISPLAYING HONG KONG STOCKS OPENING AT 25329.01 POINTS VARIOUS OF SCREEN DISPLAYING HONG KONG STOCKS
- Embargoed: 9th September 2019 04:40
- Keywords: trade war Japan Hang Seng China stock Asia South Korea Hong Kong Nikkei market
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN/ SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA/HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN/ SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA/HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Various
- Topics: Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATUS3T3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Asian shares sank on Monday (August 26) as the latest salvo in the Sino-U.S. trade war shook confidence in the world economy and sent investors steaming to the safe harbours of sovereign bonds, gold, and the Japanese yen.
Japan's Nikkei lost 2.3%, while Shanghai blue chips fell 1.2%.
In South Korea, stocks opened lower with the Korea Composite Stock Price Index (KOSPI) down 33.20 points or 1.70 percent to 1,915.10 points as of 0110 GMT.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index dropped 3% in morning trade, potentially also reflecting anxieties over a flare-up in violent anti-government protests in the city.
Protests on Sunday (August 25) saw some of the fiercest clashes yet between police and demonstrators since violence escalated in mid-June over a now-suspended extradition bill that would have allowed Hong Kong people to be sent to mainland China for trial.
(Production: Kwiyeon Ha, Minwoo Park, Ebrahim Harris)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None