- Title: Explosive device found in Barcelona beach set to be deactivated
- Date: 26th August 2019
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (AUGUST 26, 2019) (REUTERS) CLOSED-OFF SANT SEBASTIA BEACH DECK CHAIR AND BOAT IN WATER SPANISH CIVIL GUARD SHIP AND YACHT ON WATER VARIOUS OF SPANISH CIVIL GUARD SHIP ON WATER YACHTS ON WATER SPANISH CIVIL GUARD SHIP ON WATER CLOSED-OFF SANT SEBASTIA BEACH RESTAURANT IN CLOSED-OFF AREA CLOSED-OFF SANT SEBASTIA BEACH
- Embargoed: 9th September 2019 10:34
- Keywords: Barcelona beach evacuation Sant Sebastia beach Spanish Civil War Spain bomb
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATUV6FB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:An explosive device found in the sea at a beach in Barcelona is set to be deactivated on Monday (August 26).
The beach was evacuated on Sunday (August 25) after police found an explosive device in the water that appeared to be old, possibly dating back some 80 years to the Spanish Civil War, a Civil Guard spokeswoman said.
Police established a security perimeter of 250 meters (800 feet) around the device off the Sant Sebastia beach, one of Barcelona's most popular beaches.
Navy specialists are expected to deactivate the device, which could date back to the 1936-1939 Civil War, the spokeswoman said, adding that the closure would remain in place until the area is made safe.
The device, located at a depth of 3 meters (10 feet) and 25 meters (80 feet) from the shore, was found by an off-duty police diver who happened to be swimming in the area, she added.
(Production: Jordi Rubio Catherine Macdonald, Jeevan Ravindran)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None