- Title: Amazon ablaze as Brazil's Bolsonaro rages at France's Macron
- Date: 27th August 2019
- Summary: PORTO VELHO, BRAZIL (AUGUST 27, 2019) (REUTERS) (MUTE) AERIAL VIEW OF FIRES BURNING IN AMAZON REGION WITH SMOKE RISING OVER HORIZON VARIOUS, AERIAL VIEW OF FIRES BURNING NEAR SMALL BUILDINGS AERIAL VIEW OF SMOKE RISING FROM FIRE / CAMERA PASSES OVER FIRE BURNING IN BRUSH VARIOUS, AERIAL VIEWS OF FIRE IN BRUSH
- Embargoed: 10th September 2019 20:27
- Keywords: wildfire insult Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro President Emmanuel Macron aid rainforest blaze fires environment Amazon
- Location: PORTO VELHO & BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- City: PORTO VELHO & BRASILIA, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Environment,Nature/Wildlife,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATZW1TZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dramatic aerial images showed fires continuing to burn unabated in Brazil's Amazon region on Tuesday (August 27).
Brush, trees and vegetation of all types were consumed by the blazes in northwestern Brazil leaving nothing but charred ground and ash in a region more commonly known for its wet, tropical rainforests.
Weak rainfall is unlikely to extinguish a record number of fires raging in Brazil's Amazon anytime soon, with pockets of precipitation through Sept. 10 expected to bring only isolated relief, according to weather data and two experts.
Meanwhile, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said on Tuesday he wants French President Emmanuel Macron to withdraw the "insults" made against him before he considers accepting a $20 million offer from the G7 nations to help fight forest fires in the Amazon.
The two leaders have become embroiled in a deeply personal and public war of words in recent days, with Bolsonaro mocking Macron's wife and accusing the French leader of disrespecting Brazil's sovereignty. Macron has called Bolsonaro a liar, and said Brazilian women are probably ashamed of their president.
The fires in the Amazon have created a major crisis for Bolsonaro's far-right government. The Brazilian leader is losing popularity at home and finding himself increasingly isolated on the global stage over his response to blazes that threaten what many view as a key bulwark against global climate change.
(Production: Leonardo Benassatto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None