- Title: Dominican Republic braces for incoming tropical storm Dorian
- Date: 27th August 2019
- Summary: SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (AUGUST 27, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) EMERGENCY OFFICIAL, MANUEL GOMEZ, SAYING: "The accumulated values that we are dealing with at the moment are between 100 to 150 milimetres of rain in isolated areas of the east and northeast." GENERAL VIEW OF NEWS CONFERENCE OFFICIALS AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DIRECTOR OF EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTRE, JUAN MANUEL SANTOS, SAYING: "A yellow alert for the coastal strip from Saona Island to Samana, and a green alert for the coastal strip of Punta Palenque in San Cristobal." EMERGENCY OFFICIALS
- Embargoed: 10th September 2019 22:24
- Keywords: tropical storm Dorian Caribbean Santo Domingo Dominican Republic
- Location: SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
- City: SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
- Country: Dominican Republic
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA004ATZVX3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Dominican Republic braced for tropical storm Dorian on Tuesday (August 27) as it churned west-northwest, with officials cautioning that it could approach hurricane-strength on Wednesday (August 28) after blowing over Barbados.
The storm's centre is expected to pass near or south of Puerto Rico on Wednesday, move near or over eastern Hispaniola Wednesday night and move north of Hispaniola on Thursday.
Barbados was hit by strong winds and intermittent showers, with periodic jolts of thunder and lightning, on Monday (August 26) evening.
The Dominican Republic has evacuated residents living in hurricane-prone areas of the country.
By late Tuesday morning, the storm was located about 60 miles (95 km) west-northwest of St. Lucia, blowing maximum sustained winds of 50 miles per hour, according to the NHC.
(Production: Jesus Frias)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None