- Title: No dirty jokes please: Comics find a new stage inside LA car wash
- Date: 27th August 2019
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (RECENT) (REUTERS) VIEW FROM DASHBOARD AS CAR MOVES INTO CAR WASH AND COMEDIAN KURT BRAUNOHLER (PRONOUNCED: BROWN-oh-ler) GIVES INSTRUCTIONS AND POINTS OUT WHERE TO GO BRAUNOHLER TELLING DRIVER TO STOP AND ASKING IF DRIVER AND PASSENGER ARE READY FOR A COMEDY SHOW VARIOUS OF BRAUNOHLER TALKING ABOUT BECOMING A FATHER AND WHY HIS DAUGHTER CALLS HIM PAPA (EDITORS NOTE: THIS IS AN ADULT-THEMED JOKE) VARIOUS OF BRAUNOHLER TALKING ABOUT TAKING BABY HOME FROM HOSPITAL (EDITORS NOTE: CONTAINS PROFANITY) PASSENGER LAUGHING BRAUNOHLER TELLING JOKE ABOUT LIP BALM AND THEN SAYING GOODNIGHT AND GETTING OUT OF CAR VIEW FROM OUTSIDE CAR OF BRAUNOHLER GETTING OUT (SOUNDBITE) (English) COMEDIAN KURT BRAUNOHLER, SPEAKING TO CAMERA, SAYING: "Hi, I'm Kurt Braunohler and this is 'Comedians In Cars Getting Washed," which is very short sets by some of LA's best comics in your car as it's getting washed." (SOUNDBITE) (English) DALIYA KARNOFSKY, 35, A DATING COACH WHO LIVES IN LOS ANGELES, SAYING: "That was fun. I liked it." (SOUNDBITE) (English) MELISSA GRUHIN, 29, SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING CONSULTANT WHO LIVES IN LOS ANGELES SAYING: "A lot of fun. We go to a lot of comedy shows and this is obviously very unique, very different and then my car's really clean." (SOUNDBITE) (English) DALIYA KARNOFSKY, 35, A DATING COACH WHO LIVES IN LOS ANGELES, SAYING: "Great, multi-tasking. We love multi-tasking. It's LA. We got it all done in one go. It's great." CAR PULLING UP TO CAR WASH AS COMEDIAN KYLE KINANE STANDS OUTSIDE WAITING TO BE INTRODUCED HOST OUTSIDE CAR INTRODUCING KINANE AND KINANE GETTING INTO CAR KINANE TELLING JOKE ABOUT LEGAL MARIJUANA KINANE GETTING OUT OF CAR AND SHAKING HANDS WITH AUDIENCE MEMBER KEVIN SILVA (SOUNDBITE) KEVIN SILVA, 34, CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT SAYING: "It was great. Kyle Kinane is one of my favorite comedians. I've been looking forward to this for a very long time, because Kurt just tweeted one day 'what if I did a carwash comedy show' and I was, like, that sounds stupid but also really cool." VARIOUS OF CAR IN CAR WASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) COMEDIAN KURT BRAUNOHLER SAYING: "Well, it's very, very intimate. You know, I had one car with just one guy in it, so it was just me doing my jokes to one guy. And there was definitely, like, one car was just two people and there was, like, two jokes that didn't work and that's just, like, that's deafening, that silence, because you're just looking at each other, you know. But it does strip a little bit, at the same time there's less artifice to the stand-up and there's more artifice to the stand-up, because it's very obvious, like, what you're doing in the moment. So it's very strange. It's a totally different thing than doing a normal stand-up set." CAR DRIVING IN TO CAR WASH
- Embargoed: 10th September 2019 00:01
- Keywords: car wash comedians comics show performance cars vehicles Los Angeles
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATUS0NT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: CONTAINS PROFANITY
EDITORS NOTE: THIS IS AN ADULT-THEMED JOKE
Los Angeles comedian Kurt Braunohler has performed stand-up sets in cargo trucks, school buses and even gondolas, but his latest venture scales things down even further: a four-minute comedy show inside your car as it goes through a car wash.
In a city known for its car culture and notorious traffic, Braunohler said a show inside people's vehicles was the "most L.A. set-up" he could imagine.
"It's very, very intimate," he said. "It's a totally different thing than doing a normal stand-up set."
Audience members purchase their $5-per-car tickets before rolling up to a gas station near downtown Los Angeles for the show. A host performs a warm-up routine while each car waits its turn, then folds in the side mirrors, keys a code into the car wash control panel and leads a round of applause as one of six comedians hops into the passenger seat. Four minutes of joking, soaping, brushing and drying later, the comic jumps out with a "Thank you and goodnight" and the show is over.
"We go to a lot of comedy shows and this is obviously very unique, very different and then my car's really clean," said social media marketing consultant Melissa Gruhin, 29, after her show.
"We love multi-tasking. It's LA. We got it all done in one go. It's great," said dating coach Daliya Karnofsky, 35.
Braunohler said some of the comedians chat casually with their audience, some perform short jokes, some tell one long joke and some even do karaoke.
Around 100 people saw performances on a recent Friday evening. The night was a one-off, but Braunohler hopes "Comedians In Cars Getting Washed" can find a more permanent home soon.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None