- Title: MIDEAST-CRISIS/PRISON ATTACK Prison mortar attack kills 11 in Syria
- Date: 23rd August 2015
- Summary: VARIOUS OF BLOOD ON GROUND
- Embargoed: 7th September 2015 13:00
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA63ELBEY8U1H2529EUA8EBWTV9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Eleven people were killed and more than 50 injured in mortar attacks by rebels on Damascus central prison on Sunday (August 23).
Head of Damascus Central Prison Branch, Nabil al-Ghajari, said many of the victims were women and children who came to visit their relatives.
"They fired missile mortars, one of which was dropped between the visitors directly. The mortar led to the death of 11 people and the injury of 56 others. Most of the casualties are from the visitors especially women and children who wanted to visit their children or husbands", he said.
He added that most of the mortars came from Douma.
Meanwhile rockets and mortars hit other neighbourhoods in the capital.
The Syrian Interior Ministry and a police source said five mortar shells hit the prison and three more mortar strikes hit three residential houses in the al-Wafedeen Camp in the Damascus countryside, injuring three others.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None