- Title: Puerto Ricans brace for Tropical Storm Dorian
- Date: 27th August 2019
- Summary: CABO ROJO, PUERTO RICO (AUGUST 27, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MEN PUTTING WHITE BOAT ON TRAILER VARIOUS OF YACHTS IN WATER VARIOUS OF BOAT ON BACK OF PICK-UP BEING DRIVEN OUT OF WATER VARIOUS OF BLUE AND WHITE BOAT BEING TIED DOWN VARIOUS OF YELLOW BOAT BEING PUT ON TRAILER AND DRIVEN OUT OF WATER TRUCK PUTTING TRAILER IN WATER VEHICLE ON DRY LAND PULLING YACHT ON TRAILER CARS ON LINE AT GAS STATION PEOPLE IN WATER MAN CUTTING WOODEN BOARD MAN CARRYING BOARD AS HE WALKS AROUND HIS BEACHSIDE HOUSE VARIOUS OF MAN PUTTING BOARD ON WINDOW OF HIS BEACHSIDE HOUSE MEN CUTTING BOARD VARIOUS OF MEN PUTTING BOARDS ON WINDOWS OF BEACHSIDE HOUSE
- Embargoed: 10th September 2019 23:06
- Keywords: Tropical Storm Dorian hurricane storm preps
- Location: CABO ROJO, PUERTO RICO / INTERNET
- City: CABO ROJO, PUERTO RICO / INTERNET
- Country: Puerto Rico
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATZW7D3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Along Puerto Rico's southwest coast, residents braced for tropical storm Dorian on Tuesday (August 27) as it churned west-northwest, with officials cautioning that it could approach hurricane-strength on Wednesday after blowing over Barbados.
"Slow strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours, and Dorian is forecast to be near hurricane strength when it moves close to Puerto Rico and eastern Hispaniola," the U.S. National Hurricane Center (NHC) said in a report.
The storm's center is expected to pass near or south of Puerto Rico on Wednesday, move near or over eastern Hispaniola Wednesday night and move north of Hispaniola on Thursday.
Puerto Rico Governor Wanda Vazquez Garced declared a state of emergency for the U.S. territory late on Monday in anticipation of the storm, the government said on Twitter.
The storm already hit Barbados with strong winds and intermittent showers, with periodic jolts of thunder and lightning, on Monday evening.
The Barbados Meteorological Services discontinued its tropical storm warning at 2 a.m. and the nation's international airport was reopened at 7 a.m.
A hurricane watch is in effect for Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.
(Production: Ricardo Arduengo, Arlene Eiras)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None