- Title: File footage of Conte, as he is expected to be given fresh mandate by president
- Date: 28th August 2019
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (RECENT - AUGUST 20, 2019) (REUTERS) SOUNDBITE (Italian) ITALIAN PRIME MINISTER, GIUSEPPE CONTE, SAYING: "After the end of the parliamentary debate I will go to the president of the Republic to officially inform him of the interruption of this government experience and to offer him my resignation as prime minister." SENATORS APPLAUDING CONTE HUGGING DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER LUIGI DI MAIO AND SHAKING HANDS WITH SENATORS / SENATORS APPLAUDING MEDIA CONTE WAITING TO ADDRESSING SENATE / SALVINI ASKING LEAGUE SENATORS TO STOP BOOING
- Embargoed: 11th September 2019 19:25
- Keywords: Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte Interior Minister Matteo Salvini Deputy Prime Minister Luigi Di Maio President Sergio Mattarella political crisis
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA005AU4SU9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Italian President Sergio Mattarella has summoned outgoing Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte for a meeting on Thursday (August 29) morning at 9.30 a.m. (0730 GMT), a presidential official said on Wednesday (August 28).
The announcement signalled that Conte was likely to receive a mandate to try to form a new government with the ruling 5-Star Movement and the opposition Democratic Party (PD).
Conte resigned last week after the far-right League party withdrew from its coalition with the 5-Star, forcing Mattarella to hold consultations with all Italy's main political parties to try to find a way out of the political chaos.
Both 5-Star and the PD told the president they were willing to try to form an administration with Conte at the helm.
The two sides still need to agree on a shared policy platform and team of ministers, but 5-Star chief Luigi Di Maio and his PD counterpart Nicola Zingaretti said they had pledged to find common ground for the good of the country.
(Production: Eleanor Biles, Fabiano Franchitti, Emily Roe)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None