- Title: Swedish teen climate activist Greta Thunberg waves from boat in New York Harbor
- Date: 28th August 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 28, 2019) (REUTERS) TEENAGE CLIMATE ACTIVIST GRETA THUNBERG WAVING FROM A ZERO-CARBON EMISSIONS VESSEL VARIOUS OF BOAT IN HARBOR
- Embargoed: 11th September 2019 17:50
- Keywords: Swedish teen climate activist Greta Thunberg arrival in New York sailing trip United Nations zero-carbon Team Malizia
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Environment,Editors' Choice,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AU4VMMF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg sailed into New York Harbor on Wednesday (August 28), waving from a zero-carbon emissions vessel, completing her 14-day journey from England to partake in a United Nations climate summit in New York next month.
The 16-year-old Swedish activist, who set sail from Plymouth, England, on Aug. 14, attracted international attention last year when she started missing school on Fridays to protest against political inaction on climate change and inspired youth around the world to do the same.
Rather than travel in an airplane that burns fuel and contributes to atmospheric carbon pollution, Thunberg opted to make her trans-Atlantic journey carbon emission-free by sailing on the Malizia II, a 60-foot yacht equipped with solar panels and underwater turbines that produce electricity onboard.
The boat has no shower or toilets, and those aboard including Thunberg's father and crew members planned to eat freeze-dried food throughout the trip.
In addition to the U.N. Climate Action Summit in New York, Thunberg intends to join the COP 25 climate change conference in Santiago, Chile, in December.
(Mike Wood / Catherine Koppel / Dan Fastenberg / Roselle Chen)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None