- Title: Wall St climbs on energy, financials boost
- Date: 28th August 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 28, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) NEWTON ADVISORS, PRESIDENT, MARK NEWTON, SAYING: "So, seasonality is negative. Sentiment has gotten also a little bit negative. So, from a contrarian viewpoint, that's actually somewhat constructive, and if you look at the very real issues, such as the policy uncertainty and Chinese trade war, or concerns about a slowing economy globally, and those are all causing investors, you know, really a lot of concern for a lot of the right reasons. But that also means that any pullback likely is going to prove subdued, because concern will turn to fear that much more quickly on a sell-off.
- Embargoed: 11th September 2019 21:29
- Keywords: S&P 500 NYSE trade deal Mark Newton U.S. stocks China S&P Nasdaq Dow Jones financials
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Economic Events,Equities Markets
- Reuters ID: LVA004AU4WJV1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. stocks climbed on Wednesday (August 28), recovering from early session declines on gains in energy and financial shares, but investors remained leery about the potential for another flare-up in U.S.-China trade tensions.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 258.20 points, or 1%, to 26,036.10, the S&P 500 gained 18.79 points, or 0.65%, to 2,887.95 and the Nasdaq Composite added 29.94 points, or 0.38%, to 7,856.88.
(Production by: Aleksandra Michalska)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None