- Title: India's Supreme Court to hear legal challenges on Kashmir in October
- Date: 28th August 2019
- Summary: SOURA, SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA (FILE - AUGUST 23, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS GATHERED AND CHANTING SLOGANS IN FRONT OF JENAB SAEB MOSQUE PROTESTERS SHOUTING SLOGANS PROTESTERS RAISING THEIR HANDS AND CHANTING IN FRONT OF JENAB SAEB MOSQUE PROTEST PLACARD READING (English): 'WE DREAM OF AN INDEPENDENT KASHMIR' VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING
- Embargoed: 11th September 2019 10:44
- Keywords: Jammu and Kashmir Srinagar New Delhi Supreme Court India special status
- Location: NEW DELHI, SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI, SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA002AU4RPZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: India's Supreme Court said on Wednesday (August 28) it will hear challenges in October to a government order revoking the autonomy of contested Kashmir.
Sitaram Yechury, the head of the Communist Party of India (Marxist), was also permitted to visit the region that has been under lockdown for weeks, and a notice was issued by the top court to the government seeking a direction for relaxing restrictions on means of communication and respond within seven days.
More than a dozen petitions have been filed in the Supreme Court questioning the legality the action, which the government said was aimed at developing the region at the heart of animosity with Pakistan for decades.
India stripped the Muslim-majority region claimed by both India and Pakistan of its special status this month, and also divided Jammu and Kashmir state into two, to the fury of many of its residents.
(Production: ANI, Lion Schellerer)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None