- Title: Playing ketchup in Spain - thousands wage the Tomatina fight
- Date: 28th August 2019
- Summary: BUNOL, SPAIN (AUGUST 28, 2019) (REUTERS) REVELLERS IN TRUCK THROWING TOMATOES AT CROWDS ON THE GROUND VARIOUS OF REVELLERS AT STREET LEVEL CHUCKING TOMATO PULP AT EACH OTHER AS OTHER HURL TOMATOES VARIOUS REVELLERS INSIDE TRUCK HURLING TOMATOES AND BEING SPLATTERED WITH TOMATO WOMAN ON TOP OF TRUCK COVERED IN TOMATO AND WIPING TOMATO FROM HER EYES TRUCK MAKING ITS WAY THROUGH CROWDS VARIOUS OF CROWDS AT GROUND LEVEL THROWING TOMATOES AT EACH OTHER VARIOUS OF GO-PRO FOOTAGE OF TOMATO FIGHT IN PROGRESS GO-PRO FOOTAGE OF REVELLERS PICKING UP TOMATO PULP AND TOMATOES FROM THE GROUND AND THROWING THEM GO-PRO FOOTAGE OF TOMATO FIGHT IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF MAN STANDING ON LEDGE AS HE TRIES TO DODGE TOMATOES BEING THROWN AT HIM GO-PRO FOOTAGE OF REVELLER THROWING TOMATOES VARIOUS OF REVELLERS BEING SPLATTERED WITH TOMATO REVELLERS STEPPING IN TOMATO PULP ON THE GROUND GROUP OF REVELLERS LAYING IN THE SPLATTERED TOMATOES ON THE GROUND AS THEY POSE FOR PHOTO REVELLER DUMPING BUCKET OF TOMATO PULP OVER OTHER REVELLERS VARIOUS OF MEN LAYING IN TOMATO PULP ON THE GROUND AND POSING FOR PICTURE REVELLER LAYING INSIDE POOL OF TOMATO AS OTHER REVELLERS KICK MORE TOMATO HIS WAY WOMAN SITTING ON THE GROUND IN A POOL OF TOMATO PULP REVELLERS STANDING IN TOMATO-COVERED STREET COUPLE COVERED IN SPLATTERED TOMATO KISSING (SOUNDBITE) (English) REVELLER FROM PAKISTAN LIVING IN SPAIN, FAKHAR ZAMAN, 26, SAYING: "I'm feeling hungry because we were jumping all the time and just now I am just feeling hungry. It's amazing, amazing. We will be here next year as well." (SOUNDBITE) (English) THREE FRIENDS FROM CANADA SAYING: AZAN GILL, 29: "It's amazing. It's the best party." A.J. JACIN, 22: "We came all the way from Canada just for this right here." SHANWAR GILL, 23: "It's amazing. It's the best experience." A.J. JACIN, 22: "It's life changing experience out here." AZAN GILL, 29: "I would come here every year, I'd say." REVELLERS BEING HOSED DOWN AFTER TOMATO FIGHT CITY HALL WORKER TRYING TO UNCLOG DRAIN MAN SWEEPING TOMATO PULP AND JUICE FROM STREET
- Embargoed: 11th September 2019 13:29
- Keywords: Tomatina food fight festival Bunol Spain revellers tomatoes Tomatina tomato fight
- Location: BUNOL, SPAIN
- City: BUNOL, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AU4V4G7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of revellers hurled tonnes of tomatoes at each other on Wednesday (August 28), cavorting in the red pulp beneath their feet in the Spanish town of Bunol.
Organisers of the annual Tomatina festival tossed 145 tonnes of over-ripe tomatoes into the crowd from six large trucks, quickly converting the town into a sea of pink and red.
Some revellers wore goggles to protect their eyes and some buildings were draped with tarpaulin to preserve their walls, while others got soaked with the pulp, creating a scene worthy of a modern art painting.
The Tomatina is said to have originated from a spontaneous bust-up amongst villagers in 1945.
It was banned for a while during the 1950s at the height of General Francisco Franco's dictatorship, but survived to gain popularity across Spain in the 1980s and today draws large crowds of visitors from abroad as well as Spaniards.
The town hall distributed more than 20,000 tickets to the festival this year.
(Production: Michael Gore, Guillermo Martinez, Jeevan Ravindran)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None