- Title: Dorian becomes hurricane, heads toward Puerto Rico
- Date: 28th August 2019
- Summary: LUQUILLO, PUERTO RICO (AUGUST 28, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WAVES CRASHING AT LA PARED BEACH SURFER RISING WAVES VARIOUS OF MAN STANDING ON MOUND AND LOOKING AT WAVES VARIOUS OF WAVES CRASHING ON BEACH PALM TREES MOVING IN WIND RED FLAG ON BEACH MOVING IN WIND PATILLAS, PUERTO RICO (AUGUST 28, 2019) (REUTERS) SURFERS RIDING WAVES CAUSED BY HURRICANE DORIAN PAN FROM PALM TREES WAVING IN WIND TO SURFERS IN WATER SURFERS SWIMMING IN WAVES YABUCOA, PUERTO RICO (AUGUST 28, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF COUPLE NAILING BOARD TO DOOR OF HOUSE WRECKAGE OF HOUSE DESTROYED IN HURRICANE MARIA NEXT DOOR TO HOUSE WHERE COUPLE IS BOARDING UP DOOR POLICE CAR DRIVING BY WOMAN STANDING IN FRONT OF HOUSE DESTROYED BY HURRICANE MARIA POLICE OFFICER TALKING TO WOMAN IN FRONT OF DESTROYED HOUSE HUMACAO, PUERTO RICO (AUGUST 28, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ON PIER FAJARDO, PUERTO RICO (AUGUST 28, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALM TREES ALONG SHORE MOVING IN WIND WAVES WAVES WITH BUILDINGS IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF PALM TREE ALONG SHORE MOVING IN WIND WAVES WITH BOATS IN REAR WAVES WITH PALM TREES MOVING IN REAR
- Embargoed: 11th September 2019 23:16
- Keywords: Hurricane Dorian storm hurricane Puerto Rico
- Location: FAJARDO, HUMACAO, LUQUILLO, PATILLAS AND YABUCOA, PUERTO RICO/ INTERNET
- City: FAJARDO, HUMACAO, LUQUILLO, PATILLAS AND YABUCOA, PUERTO RICO/ INTERNET
- Country: Puerto Rico
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA001AU4WJ0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hurricane Dorian gathered strength east of Puerto Rico on Wednesday (August 28), hours after it became a Category 1 hurricane.
Puerto Rico is still struggling to recover from back-to-back hurricanes in 2017, which killed about 3,000 people just months after it filed for bankruptcy.
Dorian is approaching Puerto Rico from the southeast although it is blowing winds considerably less powerful than when Hurricane Maria hit the island in September 2017.
However, by the time Dorian hits Florida late on Sunday or Monday, it could be a major hurricane, according to the Miami-based National Hurricane Center (NHC).
The NHC said Dorian was blowing maximum sustained winds of 75 mph (120 kph) on St. Thomas Island in early afternoon.
Puerto Rico, an island of three million people, declared a state of emergency ahead of the storm.
(Production: Arlene Eiras)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None