- Title: Archbishop of Canterbury visits bombed Sri Lankan church
- Date: 29th August 2019
- Summary: NEGOMBO, SRI LANKA (AUGUST 29, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SECURITY AROUND VEHICLE CARRYING ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY JUSTIN WELBY WELBY BEING WELCOMED BY COLOMBO CARDINAL MALCOLM RANJITH WELBY PRAYING IN FRONT OF MEMORIAL FOR BLAST VICTIMS WELBY AND MEMBERS OF THE DELEGATION LAYING FLOWERS AT MEMORIAL VARIOUS OF WELBY IN FRONT OF MEMORIAL WELBY WITH OFFICIALS WALKING TO CHURCH RELATIVES OF BOMBING VICTIMS SITTING INSIDE CHURCH VARIOUS OF WELBY GIVING GIFTS AND TALKING TO CHILDREN INJURED IN BLAST VARIOUS OF WELBY SPEAKING AT THE SERVICE (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY, JUSTIN WELBY, SAYING: "And now I have the privilege of meeting you." TRANSLATOR SPEAKING IN TAMIL "And I feel again that in Christ we are made one." CHILD SITTING WITH MAN ELDERLY WOMAN LISTENING PEOPLE LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY, JUSTIN WELBY, SAYING: "I know that by your courage, your faith and your love, I see the true Christ." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LISTENING SERVICE IN PROGRESS EXTERIOR OF ST. SEBASTIAN'S CHURCH
- Embargoed: 12th September 2019 11:31
- Keywords: Sri Lanka archbishop Canterbury bomb
- Location: NEGOMBO, SRI LANKA
- City: NEGOMBO, SRI LANKA
- Country: Sri Lanka
- Topics: Fundamental Rights/Civil Liberties,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AU9RIO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, visited one of the churches bombed during an Easter Sunday attack on Thursday (August 29) during a three-day visit to Sri Lanka.
Welby offered flowers at a memorial commemorating the more than 250 victims killed after Islamist militants targeted churches and luxury hotels, and gave gifts to injured children inside the recently-restored St. Sebastian's Church.
During his visit to Sri Lanka, Welby will meet Sri Lanka President Maithripala Sirisena, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and opposition leader Mahinda Rajapaksa. He will also meet with religious leaders and the Anglican community.
(Production: Channa Kumara, Peter Blaza)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None