- Title: Legal campaigner Miller asks courts to block UK parliament suspension
- Date: 29th August 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 29, 2019) (REUTERS) MILLER GETTING INTO CAR
- Embargoed: 12th September 2019 18:47
- Keywords: Brexit protest suspension of UK parliament Leeds protest against prorogation of parliament Gina Miller Legal campaigner Miller Heath Minister Matt Hancock
- Location: LONDON AND LEEDS, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON AND LEEDS, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA004AU9VWP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Legal campaigner Gina Miller said on Thursday (August 29) she will ask the courts to block Prime Minister Boris Johnson's decision to suspend Britain's parliament for more than a month before Brexit.
Miller, who in 2017 successfully challenged the government over its authority to leave the EU without a vote in parliament, said she is seek an urgent judicial review before Sept. 9, the earliest date that a suspension of parliament could come into effect.
Johnson launched his boldest move yet to take the country out of the European Union by October 31 with or without a divorce deal, by setting a new date for a state opening of parliament.
Known as the Queen's Speech, the formal event will be held on October 14 and be preceded by a suspension of the House of Commons, meaning parliament will not sit between mid-September and mid-October.
The move prompted an immediate outcry with protesters taking to the streets across the country since Wednesday evening.
(Production: Iona Serrapica)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None