- Title: File of events surrounding British tourist murders ahead of final verdict
- Date: 29th August 2019
- Summary: The two convicted men from Myanmar submitted their final appeal against the death sentence in August 2017. KOH SAMUI, THAILAND (FILE - AUGUST 21, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SAMUI PROVINCIAL COURT SIGN READING (Thai): "SAMUI PROVINCIAL COURT"
- Embargoed: 12th September 2019 04:38
- Keywords: Thailand Koh Tao British murder case migrant workers court File
- Location: KOH TAO, KOH SAMUI, BANGKOK, THAILAND / UNKNOWN LOCATION / YANGON, MYANMAR
- City: KOH TAO, KOH SAMUI, BANGKOK, THAILAND / UNKNOWN LOCATION / YANGON, MYANMAR
- Country: Thailand
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA009AU9ROZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: File footage chronicles the events surrounding the 2014 murder of two British backpackers on the holiday island of Koh Tao and the subsequent conviction of two migrant workers from Myanmar.
The Thai supreme court sentenced Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun to death after finding them guilty of the murders of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller.
The two convicted men from Myanmar are set to face the final verdict on Thursday (August 29) after pleading not guilty and appealing to the court.
The case is mired in controversy and questions about the police investigation as well as Thailand's treatment of migrant workers, prompting widespread criticism and protests.
(Production: Afiq Satikin, Lion Schellerer)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None