- Title: Cast bring Polanski's new film 'An Officer and a Spy' to Venice
- Date: 30th August 2019
- Summary: VENICE, ITALY (AUGUST 30, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ACTRESS AND POLANSKI'S WIFE EMMANUELLE SEIGNER ARRIVING AND SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS ACTOR JEAN DUJARDIN ARRIVING/SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS/ ACTOR LOUIS GARREL SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS DUJARDIN WAVING/LEAVING FOR PRESS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 13th September 2019 13:46
- Keywords: Roman Polanski An Officer and a Spy J'Accuse Jean Dujardin Emmanuelle Seigner Venice Film Festival
- Location: VENICE, ITALY / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- City: VENICE, ITALY / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA002AUEUPU5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Cast members of director Roman Polanski's new movie "An Officer and a Spy" arrived at the Venice Film Festival on Friday (August 30) ahead of the film's world premiere.
Stars including actor Jean Dujardin and Polanski's wife and actress Emmanuelle Seigner signed autographs as they arrived for a pre-premiere news conference.
The inclusion in competition of the film - a drama is about the 19th century Dreyfus affair - has raised questions.
Polanski in 1977 pleaded guilty to having unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl in Los Angeles. The French-Polish director, 86, fled the United States for fear his deal with prosecutors would be overruled and he would get a lengthy prison term. He now lives in Europe.
The Oscar-winning director was expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for violating a conduct code it adopted in 2018 following hundreds of accusations of sexual harassment or assault against figures in the entertainment industry.
"An Officer and a Spy" is one of the 21 films in the running for the top Golden Lion prize, which will be awarded on September 7, when the 76th festival comes to a close.
(Production: Cristiano Corvino, Hanna Rantala, Sarah Mills)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None