- Title: YEMEN-SECURITY/AIR STRIKE Air stike hits Yemen's city of Hodeidah
- Date: 23rd August 2015
- Summary: HODEIDAH, YEMEN (AUGUST 23, 2015) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE FLEEING, DUST AND SMOKING RISING FROM CHALETS IN HODIEDAH BEACH AMBULANCE DRIVING AT THE SCENE PEOPLE GATHERING AND WALKING AT THE SCENE HUGE HOLE IN GROUND CAUSED BY AIR STRIKE
- Embargoed: 7th September 2015 13:00
- Location: Yemen
- Country: Yemen
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAB3WFV35XNKPGTF70D2T5881UA
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Saudi-led coalition air strikes pounded coastal areas in Yemen on Sunday (August 23), including the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah, residents and witnesses said.
The Sunday morning air strikes hit beach areas and coastal parks crowded with residents and visitors who fled the scene.
Reuters footage shows people fleeing the scene of the attacks as large plumes of smoke rose into the air.
There were no official reports of casualties.
Arab coalition air strikes also targeted the Red Sea port of al-Mukha and the Bab al-Mandeb strait, a Red Sea shipping lane vital to oil shipments, residents said.
Saudi Arabia and its Sunni Arab allies launched an air offensive on Yemen last March aimed at ousting the Iran-backed Houthi militias who had taken control over large swaths of the country since last year.
Gulf countries are seeking to fend off what they see as Iranian influence on their neighbor, while the Houthis say they are fighting a corrupt government in league with al Qaeda.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None