- Title: Italian president meets Conte, expected to give green light to new government
- Date: 29th August 2019
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (AUGUST 29, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTERIORS OF THE QUIRINALE PRESIDENTIAL PALACE AND THE CHANGING OF THE GUARD
- Embargoed: 12th September 2019 09:05
- Keywords: 5-Star Movement Giuseppe Conte Luigi Di Maio President Sergio Mattarella government crisis League Democratic Party Italian politics Nicola Zingaretti Matteo Salvini
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003AU9TYDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: FILE EDIT OF CONTE AVAILABLE: 3057-ITALY-POLITICS/FILE
CONTE SPEECH AFTER MEETING THE PRESIDENT: 4123-ITALY-POLITICS/CONTE-UPDATE
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte met President Sergio Mattarella on Thursday (August 29) morning, where he was given a mandate to try and put together a new government.
Conte later announced that he had accepted the mandate, adding that he hoped to draw up a list of ministers in the coming days.
Conte resigned last week after the far-right League party withdrew from its coalition with the 5-Star. However, the opposition Democratic Party has stepped into the breach and said it will hook up with 5-Star under the leadership of Conte.
(Production: Matteo Berlenga, Fabiano Franchitti, Emily Roe)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None