- Title: Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey's account hacked
- Date: 30th August 2019
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (FILE - SEPTEMBER 5, 2018) (UNRESTRICTED POOL) VARIOUS OF TWITTER CHIEF EXECUTIVE, JACK DORSEY, SPEAKING
- Embargoed: 13th September 2019 21:41
- Keywords: Jack Dorsey hacked Twitter social media tweet
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK + SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA + WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES / INTERNET
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK + SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA + WASHINGTON, DC, UNITED STATES / INTERNET
- Country: USA
- Topics: Science,Internet / World Wide Web
- Reuters ID: LVA003AUEVQ6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS PROFANITY
The account of Twitter Inc Chief Executive Jack Dorsey was hacked on Friday (August 30) afternoon, sending public tweets and retweets including racial slurs and curse words to 4 million followers.
Twitter in a tweet said that it was aware the account was compromised and investigating what happened.
One of the tweets claimed Nazi leader Adolf Hitler was innocent, while others contained racist comments against African Americans and Jews. There was also a tweet suggesting there was a bomb at Twitter's headquarters.
Shortly after the apparent hack, the offensive tweets and retweets were deleted.
Twitter shares fell less than 1% in after-hours trade following the hack.
(Production by: Dan Fastenberg)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None