- Title: France's Darmanin meets Britain's Gove in Calais
- Date: 30th August 2019
- Summary: CALAIS, FRANCE (AUGUST 30, 2019) (REUTERS) FRENCH BUDGET MINISTER WHO IS ALSO IN CHARGE OF CUSTOMS, GERALD DARMANIN, ARRIVING DARMANIN GREETING OFFICIALS SIGN FOR CALAIS FERRY TERMINAL VARIOUS OF DARMANIN SPEAKING WITH OFFICIALS POLICE BRITISH MINISTER IN CHARGE OF COORDINATING "NO-DEAL" BREXIT PLANNING, MICHAEL GOVE, ARRIVING AND SHAKING HANDS WITH DARMANIN GOVE GREETING OFFICIALS DARMANIN AND GOVE ENTERING BUILDING VARIOUS OF GOVE AND DARMANIN MEETING VEHICLES DRIVING TOWARDS FERRY VARIOUS OF LINE OF TRUCKS ON HIGHWAY FOR BORDER CHECKS
- Embargoed: 13th September 2019 16:27
- Keywords: Brexit EU Gerald Darmanin Calais customs no-deal Brexit Michael Gove Britain European Union trucks
- Location: CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUETV0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French budget minister also in charge of customs Gerald Darmanin met with the British minister in charge of coordinating 'no-deal' Brexit planning Michael Gove in Calais on Friday (August 30), to show how France is preparing for Britain's departure from the EU on Oct. 31.
France will test run measures it has prepared for Britain's exit from Europe for a month so that companies are fully-prepared ahead of Britain leaving the bloc at the end of October.
Businesses have been warning of long tailbacks for lorries transporting goods between mainland Europe and Britain, and the British government has said most goods from the EU will be allowed into Britain without full customs checks for at least three months if there is a no deal Brexit.
Some 700 extra customs officers have been drafted in and authorities will also introduce online border declarations forcing companies to announce their goods prior to arriving at the border.
(Production: Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None