- Title: Brazil's Bolsonaro says he won't talk with Macron unless he apologises
- Date: 30th August 2019
- Summary: PORTO VELHO, BRAZIL (RECENT) (REUTERS) VARIOUS, WILDFIRES IN BRAZIL'S AMAZON REGION
- Embargoed: 13th September 2019 17:09
- Keywords: communication Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro Emmanuel Macron aid Trump calls Merkel fires wildfires Amazon
- Location: BRASILIA & PORTO VELHO, BRAZIL
- City: BRASILIA & PORTO VELHO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Overseas Development Aid,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA005AUEUZBB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro said on Friday (August 30) he may have news later in the day on his request to U.S. President Donald Trump for help fighting the Amazon rainforest fires.
Speaking to reporters in Brasilia, Bolsonaro also told reporters he will talk to German Chancellor Angela Merkel later in the day.
"A phone call with Angela Merkel is scheduled for today. I am ready to talk with some people, except our dear Macron, unless he apologizes about our sovereignty over the Amazon," Bolsonaro said, referring to French President Emmanuel Macron.
Earlier this week Bolsonaro said he would not accept an offer of at least $20 million to help fight the Amazon fires announced by Macron at a Group of Seven nations leaders' summit unless he withdrew what he called "insults" against him.
Bolsonaro then said Foreign Minister Ernesto Araujo and the president's son Eduardo Bolsonaro will meet with U.S. President Donald Trump, although it was unclear exactly when the meeting will take place.
The two flew to Washington on Thursday (August 29) evening, with Eduardo Bolsonaro telling reporters before departing that the Amazon crisis would "certainly" be discussed.
Eduardo Bolsonaro will be appointed by his father as the new Brazilian ambassador to the United States, but his name has not yet been sent to the Senate for voting and confirmation.
(Production: Douglas Engle)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None