- Title: France to begin 1-month no deal Brexit dress rehearsal - minister
- Date: 30th August 2019
- Summary: CALAIS, FRANCE (FILE - MARCH 28, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TRUCKS BOARDING EUROTUNNEL FREIGHT TRAIN CALAIS, FRANCE (FILE - FEBRUARY 28, 2018) (REUTERS) FERRY DOCKED IN PORT TRUCKS DRIVING OFF SIGN FOR CUSTOMS CHILLY-MAZARIN, FRANCE (FILE - FEBRUARY 25, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CUSTOMS CONTROL CENTRE
- Embargoed: 13th September 2019 11:20
- Keywords: Brexit EU Gerald Darmanin Calais customs no-deal Brexit Britain European Union trucks
- Location: A26 ROAD IN DIRECTION OF CALAIS, COQUELLES, CALAIS AND CHILLY-MAZARIN, FRANCE / DOVER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: A26 ROAD IN DIRECTION OF CALAIS, COQUELLES, CALAIS AND CHILLY-MAZARIN, FRANCE / DOVER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: France
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUETU87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: France will test run measures it has prepared for Britain's exit from Europe for a month so that companies are fully-prepared ahead of Britain leaving the bloc at the end of October, its minister in charge of customs said on Friday (August 30).
Gerald Darmanin will meet Michael Gove, the British minister in charge of coordinating 'no-deal' Brexit planning, in Calais later on Friday to show how France is preparing for Britain's departure from the European Union on Oct. 31.
Businesses have been warning of long tailbacks for lorries transporting goods between mainland Europe and Britain, and the British government has said most goods from the EU will be allowed into Britain without full customs checks for at least three months if there is a no deal Brexit.
Some 700 extra customs officers have been drafted in and authorities will also introduce online border declarations forcing companies to announce their goods prior to arriving at the border.
France is the EU's biggest agricultural producer and exports large amounts of wine, spirits and dairy products to Britain, while relying on its neighbour's waters to sustain its fishing industry.
(Production: Pascale Antonie)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None