- Title: Pence visit sparks Polish hopes of joining U.S visa waiver progam
- Date: 31st August 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS PRACTISING CHANGE OF GUARDS
- Embargoed: 14th September 2019 12:25
- Keywords: Poland WW2 Mike Pence Donald Trump
- Location: WARSAW, POLAND
- City: WARSAW, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002AUJTI6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As preparations to mark the start of World War Two hit full swing in Warsaw on Saturday (August 31), Poles expressed hopes their country will join the U.S. visa waiver program.
Warsaw residents expect U.S. Vice President Michael Pence, who will be attending ceremonies marking the start of the war 80 years ago, to sign documents easing U.S. visa requirements for Poles.
Poland has made progress toward meeting the necessary requirements but has not cleared the final hurdles, the senior U.S. official said. However, no announcement is expected from Pence about country's request to join the U.S. visa waiver program.
Pence is going to Poland in place of U.S. President Donald Trump, who abruptly called off a weekend trip to Poland on Thursday (August 29), saying he wanted to stay home and make sure the federal government is prepared for a looming hurricane headed for Florida.
(Production: Dato Chkhikvishvili, Malgorzata Wojtunik)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.