- Title: German ship Alan Kurdi rescues 13 migrants from Mediterranean
- Date: 31st August 2019
- Summary: AT SEA, CENTRAL MEDITERRANEAN (AUGUST 31, 2019) (REUTERS) RIGID-HULLED INFLATABLE BOAT (RHIB) OF THE GERMAN NGO SEA-EYE MIGRANT RESCUE SHIP 'ALAN KURDI' APPROACHING SMALL WOODEN BOAT CARRYING MIGRANTS PERSONNEL OF THE GERMAN NGO SEA-EYE MIGRANT RESCUE SHIP 'ALAN KURDI' WATCHING RESCUE OPERATION FROM ONBOARD THE SHIP 'ALAN KURDI' RHIB RESCUING MIGRANTS FROM SMALL WOODEN BOAT 'ALAN KURDI' RHIB CARRYING MIGRANTS VARIOUS OF RHIB CARRYING MIGRANTS APPROACHING MIGRANT RESCUE SHIP 'ALAN KURDI' SEA-EYE NGO PERSONNEL HELPING MIGRANTS GETTING ONBOARD THE 'ALAN KURDI' SEA-EYE NGO PERSONNEL DISTRIBUTING WATER TO THE MIGRANTS SEA-EYE NGO PERSONNEL HELPING MIGRANTS GETTING ONBOARD THE 'ALAN KURDI' MIGRANTS CLIMBING ONTO 'ALAN KURDI' UPPER DECK VARIOUS OF SEA-EYE NGO PERSONNEL TAGGING MIGRANTS MIGRANTS SITTING ON DECK LIFE RING READING: "ALAN KURDI" WOODEN MIGRANT BOAT AT SEA
- Embargoed: 14th September 2019 12:38
- Keywords: Mediterranean Sea Alan Kurdi rescue Sea eye Italy Europe Open ports German rescue boat NGO boat Migrants
- Location: AT SEA, CENTRAL MEDITERRANEAN
- City: AT SEA, CENTRAL MEDITERRANEAN
- Country: At Sea
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUJSTON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A German rescue ship saved 13 migrants from a small wooden boat in the central Mediterranean on Saturday (August 31) morning.
The migrants, who said they were Tunisian, were rescued by German NGO Sea-Eye's ship Alan Kurdi. They were all men and in good health.
The rescue took place 34 nautical miles southwest of the southern Italian island of Lampedusa. In the last year Italy has run a closed ports policy to try and stem illegal immigration from North Africa, banning migrant ships from docking at its ports.
The Alan Kurdi is named after a 3-year-old Kurdish Syrian boy who died in 2015 while trying to reach Europe with his family.
(Production: Darrin Zammit Lupi,Emily Roe, Chiara Rodriquez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None