- Title: Hong Kong police fire blue-dyed water from water cannon
- Date: 31st August 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 31, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WATER CANNON TRUCK APPROACHING PROTESTERS AND SPRAY BLUE-DYED HIGH PRESSURED WATER VARIOUS PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY FROM WATER POLICE AT ROOFTOP VARIOUS POLICE RUNNING AWAY FROM TEARGAS RIOT POLICE APPROACHING AND ASKING CAMERAMAN TO LEAVE THE SPOT RIOT POLICE LOOKING AT PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 14th September 2019 11:27
- Keywords: Hong Kong protest water cannon violence disperse
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUJR5MV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong police fired blue-dyed high pressured water and fired teargas at protesters on Saturday (August 31) as violence once again hit the China-ruled city.
The water cannon fired blue-dyed water, traditionally used elsewhere in the world to make it easier for police to identify protesters later.
Police also fired round after round of tear gas as protesters took cover behind umbrellas between the local headquarters of China's People's Liberation Army and government HQ. Protesters also threw bricks at police.
Thousands took to the streets in the afternoon on a largely peaceful, meandering rally in the rain, many joining a "Christian march" from the Wanchai entertainment district and congregating next to the Legislative Council, stormed by activists in an earlier protest.
(Production: Mark Chisholm, Joyce Zhou, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None