- Title: Hong Kongers kick off weekend march
- Date: 31st August 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS PROTESTERS MARCHING ON ROAD WATER CANNON VEHICLE PARKING ON ROADSIDE POLICE GETTING INTO WATER CANNON TRUCK POLICE TRUCK AND WATER CANNON VEHICLES POLICE POLICE WALKING PAST TRUCKS SIGN READING (Chinese): "POLICE" POLICE DIVERTING TRAFFIC AT ROADBLOCK CONGESTED TRAFFIC TRAFFIC POLICE VARIOUS PROTESTERS MARCHING TOWARDS GOVERNMENT HOUSE VARIOUS PROTESTERS WALKING INTO CHATER GARDEN
- Embargoed: 14th September 2019 08:42
- Keywords: Hong Kong protests religious group extradition bill march
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Society/Social Issues,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA006AUJR0W7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong braced for another wave of protests on Saturday (August 31) in the latest of a series of anti-government demonstrations that have plunged the Chinese-ruled city into its worst political crisis in decades.
Thousands of black-clad protesters braved heavy pouring to join a religious gathering in Southorn Playground, while some of them gathered near Chater Garden in central and heading towards the government house. The protest also spread out to a main shopping district, Causeway Bay.
Despite facing the possibility that they could be arrested after authority clamped down on activists the previous day, a protester said he will continue to do what he thinks is right.
Police on Friday (August 30) blocked plans for a mass show of force marking the fifth anniversary of a decision by China to curtail democratic reforms in the former British colony, which returned to China in 1997.
(Production: Chantha Lach, Ebrahim Harris, Xihao Jiang, Hyunyoung Yi, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None