- Title: Hong Kongers kick off weekend march
- Date: 31st August 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS PROTESTERS SINGING 'HALLELUJAH'
- Embargoed: 14th September 2019 08:42
- Keywords: Hong Kong protests religious group extradition bill march
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Society/Social Issues,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA003AUJR0W7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong braced for another wave of protests on Saturday (August 31) in the latest of a series of anti-government demonstrations that have plunged the Chinese-ruled city into its worst political crisis in decades.
Thousands of black-clad protesters braved heavy pouring to join a religious gathering in Southorn Playground, while some of them gathered near Chater Garden in central and heading towards the government house. The protest also spread out to a main shopping district, Causeway Bay.
Despite facing the possibility that they could be arrested after authority clamped down on activists the previous day, a protester said he will continue to do what he thinks is right.
Police on Friday (August 30) blocked plans for a mass show of force marking the fifth anniversary of a decision by China to curtail democratic reforms in the former British colony, which returned to China in 1997.
(Production: Chantha Lach, Ebrahim Harris, Xihao Jiang, Hyunyoung Yi, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.