- Title: Director Costa-Gavras honoured in Venice
- Date: 1st September 2019
- Summary: VENICE, ITALY (AUGUST 31, 2019) (REUTERS) VENICE FILM FESTIVAL SIGN, MEDIA IN AUDIENCE "ADULTS IN THE ROOM" TEAM WALKING IN TO NEWS CONFERENCE COSTA-GAVRAS AUDIENCE WATCHING NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (French) DIRECTOR, COSTA-GAVRAS, SAYING: "The idea to make a film was going around in my head and little by little the thoughts began to organise themselves, but there wasn't a precise narrative to follow, until my wife Michele, who was in Thessaloniki producing a film, sent me an article and said I think that the film is in here. The article was written by Yanis Varoufakis, who had resigned from the (Greek) government, and I wanted to see him."
- Embargoed: 15th September 2019 10:49
- Keywords: Adults in the Room Costa-Gavras director Jean-Claude Juncker Venice Film Festival Christos Loulis Alexandros Bourdoumis Yanis Varoufakis Glory to the Filmmaker Award JosÃ© Manuel Barroso
- Location: VENICE, ITALY / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- City: VENICE, ITALY / VARIOUS FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA002AUTTFF1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Greek-born French director Costa-Gavras has been recognised for his "particularly original contribution to innovation in contemporary cinema" at the Venice Film Festival, where the Oscar winner also presented his new movie about the Greek debt crisis.
The 86-year old filmmaker, known for "Z" and "Missing", was presented with the Jaeger-LeCoultre Glory to the Filmmaker award late on Saturday (August 31).
While in Venice, he also presented "Adults in the Room", which is adapted from the book by former Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis and follows Greece's bailout negotiations in 2015.
"There's a lot of muddled politics in Europe, it has to clear itself up one day, not in the way it's been clearing itself up over the past few years," Costa-Gravas told a news conference, citing concerns of rising populism.
"I hope that all of that will change."
(Production: Christian Levaux, Helena Williams)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None