- Title: Salzburg fans welcome embattled opera star Domingo
- Date: 1st September 2019
- Summary: SALZBURG, AUSTRIA (AUGUST 31, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** CROWD WAITING FOR PLACIDO DOMINGO AFTER CONCERT VARIOUS OF DOMINGO PASSING THROUGH CROWD OF FANS, SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS PHOTOGRAPHER VARIOUS OF DOMINGO'S WIFE, MARTA DOMINGO CROWD CHEERING AND CLAPPING MEXICAN OPERA SINGER, NEIVI MARTINEZ AMONG FANS, SHOUTING (English) "WE LOVE YOU" DOMINGO SHAKING HANDS WITH MARTINEZ DOMINGO WALKING THROUGH CROWD (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEXICAN OPERA SINGER, NEIVI MARTINEZ, SAYING: "It is also true that this industry has some trouble with powerful men. Maybe some other people have been abusing women, and of course it is important that we women get empowered and that we say when it is so. In the case of maestro Domingo I personally don't believe that this is true, but we will see. We'll let the truth come to the surface. Anyhow, nobody I think can destroy his legacy, because he is a wonderful human being and artist." DOMINGO WAVING AT CHEERING FANS FROM DEPARTING CAR SALZBURG, AUSTRIA (AUGUST 31, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FANS AND SUPPORTERS OF PLACIDO DOMINGO WAITING IN FRONT OF FELSENREITSCHULE CONCERT HALL IN SALZBURG AHEAD OF GIUSEPPE VERDI'S OPERA LUISA MILLER THREE-HEADED STATUE WITH RED TAPE TIED ACROSS ALL HEADS' EYES DOMINGO'S CO-STAR IN LUISA MILLER, OPERA SINGER ROBERTO TAGLIAVINI SPEAKING WITH FANS TAGLIAVINI POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS FANS TAKING PHOTOGRAPHS OF TAGLIAVINI, TAGLIAVINI ENTERING VENUE DOOR WITH INSCRIPTION, IN GERMAN: "SALZBURGER FESTSPIELE" (SALZBURG PLAYS FESTIVAL)
- Embargoed: 15th September 2019 00:31
- Keywords: Opera Placido Domingo Salzburg sexual harassment accusations final performance of Verdi's opera Lousa Miller Salzburg Festival
- Location: SALZBURG, AUSTRIA
- City: SALZBURG, AUSTRIA
- Country: Austria
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUJUEKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Austrian opera and opera fans stood by Spanish star tenor Placido Domingo, shrugging off allegations of sexual misconduct and cheering him after a performance at a Salzburg festival Saturday (August 31).
Allegations against Domingo surfaced earlier this month, spurring the San Francisco Opera and the Philadelphia Orchestra to cancel Domingo's appearances planned for September and October. The Los Angeles Opera said this week it will investigate the accusations and the New York Metropolitan Opera said it will decide the fate of Macbeth with Domingo after the outcome of the LA investigation.
But in Europe, the Salzburg Festival and the fans welcomed him to two shows of Giuseppe Verdi's opera Luisa Miller, on Sunday (August 25) and then again six days later.
Domingo said earlier the accusations "deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate."
(Production: Alex Schuler, Boki Babic)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None