- Title: Hurricane Dorian hurls toward Bahamas
- Date: 31st August 2019
- Summary: CARS LINED UP AT GAS STATION
- Embargoed: 14th September 2019 05:27
- Keywords: storm hurricane Doiran Bahamas weather
- Location: NASSAU, THE BAHAMAS / INTERNET
- City: NASSAU, THE BAHAMAS / INTERNET
- Country: USA
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA003AUJSPQF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of the Bahamas boarded up shops and filled their cars with gas on Friday (August 30) in anticipation of Hurricane Dorian, which had strengthened into a category 4 storm, packing maximum sustained winds of 140 mph (225 km/h).
The hurricane was approaching the northwestern islands of Grand Bahama and Abaco.
In a televised news conference Friday afternoon, Bahamian Prime Minister Hubert Minnis said Dorian was moving slowly, extending the islands' exposure to the storm.
The Tourism Ministry in the Bahamas stressed that tourists did not need to leave the Bahamian capital of Nassau or nearby Paradise Island, which are not expected to experience the worst hurricane conditions.
(Production: Bob Mezan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None