- Title: Security tight in French city after suspected knife attack
- Date: 31st August 2019
- Summary: VILLEURBANNE, FRANCE (AUGUST 31, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) ARMED POLICE STANDING NEAR SCENE OF ATTACK BUSES PARKED NEAR SCENE OF ATTACK ARMED POLICE POLICE STANDING NEAR PARKED BUSES ARMED POLICE VARIOUS OF ARMED POLICE STANDING NEAR BUSES ARMED POLICE STANDING NEAR CORDONED OFF AREA
- Embargoed: 14th September 2019 21:26
- Keywords: France security stabbing crime Villeurbanne attack
- Location: VILLEURBANNE, FRANCE
- City: VILLEURBANNE, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUJU893
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: One person was killed and at least nine others wounded on Saturday (August 31) in the city of Villeurbanne near Lyon in central France after a suspected knife attack, a police source told Reuters.
A suspect carrying a knife was arrested, the source said. A second source close to the police said the man had told officers he was an Afghan national.
The police source said the motivation for the suspected attack, which took place around 1430 GMT, was not immediately clear.
The police source said authorities had been hunting for a suspected second attacker. But the second source said this search was now not being pursued, adding that the victim was aged 19.
The suspected attacker assaulted residents waiting at a bus stop and then ran towards an underground station before being seized by other local people and transport staff, Lyon mayor Lyon Gerard Collomb told reporters.
(Production: Tanya Lezaic)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None