- Title: Prague opera lovers watch "Don Giovanni" on rooftop - and in bath tubs
- Date: 2nd September 2019
- Summary: ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** WOMAN SITTING IN BATH TUB WITH CHAMPAGNE, WATCHING OPERA PERFORMANCE OPERA SINGER, EVA KYVALOVA, PERFORMING, AUDIENCE WATCHING KYVALOVA SINGING WOMAN SITTING IN BATH TUB, DRINKING CHAMPAGNE KYVALOVA SITTING ON SIDE OF TUB SINGING AT MAN IN TUB, KYVALOVA WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 16th September 2019 09:08
- Keywords: Czech bath tub opera opera in baths Prague opera Prague bath opera opera music performance
- Location: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
- City: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
- Country: Czech Republic
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA006AUYTG0P
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Mozart's "Don Giovanni" has been a favourite among opera lovers since it premiered in Prague in 1787 but it is unlikely that any have ever watched it on a rooftop in the Czech capital while submerged in a bath tub, a glass of bubbly in hand - till now.
That's how Prague cafe owner and culture promoter Ondrej Kobza arranged his performance, delivered by top Czech opera singers, including soloist Adam Plachetka from the Vienna Opera, as the sun set over the historic city centre on Thursday (August 29) night.
The stunt, comprising of selected arias rather than the entire opera, was based around an anagram - Don Giovanni turned into the Czech "John do vany" which means "John into the tub," explained Kobza, who believes that presenting culture in new, innovative ways is the best way of preserving it.
Singer Plachetka said that choosing to perform was a daring move for him, but that he enjoyed the challenge.
The spectators, who sat in their bath tubs in full evening attire, were delighted with the performance. Despite being wet they said that it was a great experience and that, luckily for them, the water in the tubs was warm.
"Don Giovanni", which tells the story of a sexually promiscuous nobleman whose past finally catches up with him, premiered in Prague, then part of the Austrian Hapsburg Empire, on Oct. 29, 1787.
(Production: Jiri Skacel, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.