- Title: Inmates in rebel-held Ukraine return to school behind bars
- Date: 2nd September 2019
- Summary: BOUQUET OF ROSES
- Embargoed: 16th September 2019 15:33
- Keywords: Ukraine prisons Ukraine education rebel-held Donetsk first day of school prison school
- Location: KHRESTIVKA, UKRAINE
- City: KHRESTIVKA, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Education,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA004AUYTTG9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The new school year started for 40 inmates from the Kirovskaya prison colony as they gathered on Monday (September 2) for the first school day assembly and returned to the classroom in the rebel-held city of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine.
The prisoners who have not completed a school year attended a history lesson in the new prison school. They used workbooks printed by the Ministry of Education of Self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic.
Dmitry Pentugov, one of the inmates at the Kirovskaya prison colony, said his favourite subject was chemistry and that he hoped to pursue a future in this field.
School director Mikhail Petrischev said inmates would be attending classes at three levels - the ninth, tenth and eleventh grades - and would study the same subjects as schoolers in the Donetsk region except industrial arts, physical education and preliminary military training.
Rebellions broke out against Ukrainian government rule and set up two states in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions in 2014 shortly after a pro-Russian president was toppled in Kiev in a popular revolt.
Moscow provided military help for the separatists in the east, according to evidence gathered by Reuters, though Russian officials have denied providing material support.
(Production: Anastasia Adasheva, Alexander Ermochenko)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.