- Title: Hurricane Dorian now a Category 5; Bahamas braces for 'life-threatening' strike
- Date: 1st September 2019
- Summary: MARSH HARBOUR, ABACO, BAHAMAS (SEPTEMBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) TREES SWAYING IN THE WIND
- Embargoed: 15th September 2019 14:25
- Keywords: Bahamas NOAA Hurricane Dorian
- Location: MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES /OVER THE ATLANTIC/ MARSH HARBOUR, ABACO, BAHAMAS
- City: MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES /OVER THE ATLANTIC/ MARSH HARBOUR, ABACO, BAHAMAS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUTTOW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hurricane Dorian intensified into a dangerous category 5 storm as it approached the Bahamas on Sunday (September 1), expected to pound the islands with up to two days of torrential rain, high waves and damaging winds before taking aim at the U.S. mainland.
The National Hurricane Center (NHC) warned of a storm surge of between 10 - 20 feet as well as up to 30 inches (76 cm) of rainfall in some areas.
"Still a very treacherous, very dangerous, life-threatening situation for the Bahamas," said NHC director Ken Graham on Sunday (September 1).
After churning over the Bahamas, it is expected to veer northwest toward Florida, with the Miami-based NHC raising its alert on Sunday for parts of the state's east coast to a tropical storm warning.
While not expected to strike Florida, the NHC cautioned residents to remain on alert and said "a Florida landfall is still a distinct possibility."
(Production: Pavithra George)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None