- Title: Israel prepares for "any scenario" on Lebanon border - Netanyahu
- Date: 1st September 2019
- Summary: NEAR AVIVM, ISRAEL (SEPTEMBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SMOKE BILLOWING, AS SEEN FROM ISRAELI BORDER NEAR LEBANON BORDER
- Embargoed: 15th September 2019 16:53
- Keywords: Israel Lebanon tanks exchange fire Hezbollah Israeli army
- Location: NEAR AVIVIM, ISRAEL / JERUSALEM
- City: NEAR AVIVIM, ISRAEL / JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA005AUTTS1Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israel's military said on Sunday (September 1) anti-tank missiles from Lebanon targeted an army base and vehicles and that it responded with fire into southern Lebanon.
Lebanon's Iran-backed Hezbollah group said its fighters destroyed an Israeli military vehicle, killing or wounding those inside. There was no immediate word from the Israeli military on any casualties.
Israel has been on alert for a possible confrontation with Hezbollah for the past week, after drones attacked what security officials in the region described as a target in a Beirut suburb linked to precision-guided missile projects.
In a statement, the Israeli military said several anti-tank missiles were fired from Lebanon on Sunday and "a number of hits were confirmed".
Following the missile attacks, Israelis living near the frontier were instructed by authorities to stay indoors. Reuters television showed smoke rising along the frontier, and explosions could be heard.
(Production: Roleen Tafakji, Suheir Sheikh, Avi Ohayun)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None