- Title: Thousands of Pakistanis stage rally in support of Kashmir
- Date: 1st September 2019
- Summary: KARACHI, PAKISTAN (SEPTEMBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS HOLDING UP FLAGS OF PAKISTAN AND AZAD (PAKISTAN-ADMINISTERED) KASHMIR, CHANTING WOMEN WEARING BURQAS HOLDING BANNER READING (English): "STAND WITH KASHMIR", STANDING IN RAIN WATER WOMAN WITH HEADBAND READING (Urdu) "KASHMIR BLEEDING" AND HOLDING FLAG OF AZAD KASHMIR AND A TOY GUN PROTESTERS WAVING FLAGS AND CHANTING (Urdu) "KASHMIR WILL BECOME PAKISTAN" AND "WE WILL GET FREEDOM" PROTESTERS CHANTING WOMEN AND GIRLS HOLDING UP PLACARDS/ ONE PLACARD READING (Urdu) "KASHMIR WILL BECOME PAKISTAN" FLAGS OF AZAD KASHMIR GIRLS WEARING HEADBANDS READING (English) "I STAND WITH KASHMIR" CLOSE OF WOMAN WITH GREEN HEADBAND READING (Urdu) "KASHMIR BLEEDING" GIRLS HOLDING PLACARDS AND WAVING FLAGS PROTESTERS WAVING FLAGS OF PAKISTAN AND AZAD KASHMIR PROTESTERS WITH HIS FACE PAINTED IN AZAD KASHMIR COLOURS, HOLDING PLACARD READING (English) "I STAND WITH KASHMIR" PROTEST LEADERS ON STAGE AS SUPPORTERS FROM STAGE CHANTING "ALLAH IS GREATEST" CROWD WAVING FLAGS (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) CHIEF OF KASHMIR-BASED JAMAAT-E-ISLAMI ISLAMIST POLITICAL PARTY, SIRAJ-UL-HAQ, SAYING: "We demand that the United Nations peacekeeping mission -- like they go to Uganda, America, East Timor and Djibouti -- now they should go to Srinagar. It has been a month since the area has been under curfew and people are dying there. Who will help and stand with them? Hence, in the first phase, we urge Pakistani government, UNO (United Nations Organisation), Security Council, OIC (Organisation of Islamic Countries) and the entire free world to take practical measures for Kashmir's freedom and their right to live." PROTESTERS CHANTING (Urdu) "FREEDOM" CROWD WAVING FLAGS
- Embargoed: 15th September 2019 17:28
- Keywords: Thousands of Pakistanis pro-Kashmir rally india Pakistan dispute revoked autonomy of Kashmir Pakistan rally
- Location: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- City: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUTU0QV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: More than 5,000 Pakistani men, women and youth held a rally in Karachi to express solidarity with the people of Kashmir on Sunday (September 1), after India revoked the disputed region's autonomy last month.
The protest was organised by Islamist political party Jamaat-e-Islami, whose chief urged the United Nations to send a peacekeeping mission to the region.
Indian Kashmir has been under a security clamp-down ever since India stripped it of a special status last month, with telephone lines, internet and television networks blocked and restrictions on movement and assembly.
Thousands of paramilitary police are deployed in the streets of Srinagar, the capital of Indian Kashmir, to quell protests.
Muslim-majority Kashmir has long been a flashpoint between nuclear-armed India and Pakistan. Both countries rule parts of Kashmir while claiming it in full. Two of the three wars they have fought have been over it.
Cities around Pakistan came to a standstill on Friday as tens of thousands of people poured onto the streets in a government-led demonstration of solidarity with the Kashmir.
(Production: Waseem Sattar, Shahabuddin Shahab)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None