- Title: Trains to Hong Kong airport suspended amid protester disruption
- Date: 1st September 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WAVING UNION JACKS PROTESTER HOLDING UP BNO PASSPORTS
- Embargoed: 15th September 2019 10:28
- Keywords: Hong Kong train protest
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA004AUTQN2F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Trains to Hong Kong's international airport were suspended on Sunday (September 1) as pro-democracy protesters threatened to disrupt transport links to the airport, the Mass Transit Railway (MTR) operator said.
Several hundred demonstrators also gathered outside the British Consulate in central Hong Kong on Sunday, waving Union Jack flags and chanting "God save the Queen."
They urged the British government to declare the invalidity of Sino-British Joint Declaration and give them full citizenship.
Police and protesters clashed overnight in some of the most intense violence on Saturday (August 31) since unrest erupted more than three months ago over concerns Beijing was planning to erode the autonomy granted to the city when it was handed back to China from Britain in 1997.
(Production: Xihao Jiang, Aleksander Solum, Angie Teo, Hyunyoung Yi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.