- Title: Lebanon's border residents watch as smoke rises from Israeli shelling
- Date: 1st September 2019
- Summary: MAROUN AL-RAS, LEBANON (SEPTEMBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) SMOKE RISING IN AREA AROUND MAROUN AL-RAS VILLAGE, AFTER ISRAEL FIRES SHELLS ACROSS BORDER PEOPLE WATCHING SMOKE RISING FROM SHELLING OVER FIELDS PEOPLE WATCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEBANESE CITIZEN, HAYDAR HUSSEIN, SAYING: "We are observing the events that happened. Hezbollah executed a mission and honestly, they made us proud. There's nothing here as you can see, the people are watching and everything is good." SMOKE RISING FROM SHELLING OVER FIELDS BUILDING IN ISRAELI SETTLEMENTS IN DISTANCE, AS SEEN FROM LEBANON CARS PARKED AND PEOPLE GATHERED TO WATCH SMOKE RISING FROM SHELLING PEOPLE WATCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEBANESE CITIZEN, MOHAMMED HAYDAR, SAYING: "And the result as you can see: Israeli shelled empty areas and there's fire." SMOKE RISING FROM SHELLING OVER FIELDS PEOPLE WATCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) LEBANESE CITIZEN FROM TYRE, IBRAHIM AL-SALMANI, HOLDING CHILD AND SAYING: "It was the best area for them to strike, Hezbollah responded to it, we are not afraid and we were the first people here just to witness the value of the response to the strike and see the fear that they (Israelis) are in and see the value that we have behind (Hezbollah leader) Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah." PEOPLE WATCHING SMOKE RISING, MAN TAKING SELFIE AND WAVING VARIOUS OF SMOKE RISING FROM SHELLING OVER FIELDS VARIOUS OF HEZBOLLAH SUPPORTERS WITH THE GROUP'S FLAG DISTRIBUTING CHOCOLATE IN CELEBRATION TO CARS PASSING BY ON THE ROAD
- Embargoed: 15th September 2019 19:40
- Keywords: Lebanon security Israel smoke shelling Maroun al-Ras Hezbollah
- Location: MAROUN AL-RAS, LEBANON
- City: MAROUN AL-RAS, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUTU7UV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:People gathered on Sunday (September 1) to watch the smoke rise from Israeli shells that hit Maroun al-Ras village in southern Lebanon.
Spectators praised Hezbollah and expressed pride after anti-tank missiles from Lebanon targeted an Israeli army base and vehicles. Israel responded with fire into southern Lebanon, after a week of growing tension raised fears of a new war with long-time enemy Hezbollah.
The Iran-backed Hezbollah movement said its fighters destroyed an Israeli military vehicle, killing and wounding those inside. Israel said there were no casualties.
The U.N. peacekeeping force on the frontier said calm had returned to the region at night. The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) also said it had urged both sides to "exercise utmost restraint to prevent any further escalation."
(Production: Karamallah Daher, Imad Creidi, Yara Abi Nader)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None