- Title: People and pets unleash efforts for animal rights in Colombia
- Date: 1st September 2019
- Summary: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA (SEPTEMBER 01, 2019) (REUTERS) DOG BARKING AT CAMERA SIGN READING (Spanish) "NO TO ANIMAL MISTREATMENT" DOG BARKING PEOPLE WITH DOG AT MARCH WOMAN HOLDING DOG DOG LOOKING AT CAMERA DOG WEARING COLOMBIAN FLAG OUTFIT PEOPLE AT MARCH, SOME HOLDING SIGNS WITH IMAGES OF ANIMAL MISTREATMENT (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ANIMAL ACTIVIST AND MARCH ORGANIZER, ROSA JULIANA HERRERA, SAYING: "We have attacks, we have all types of mistreatment, burns, many issues, and not only with animals like cats and dogs, but we're talking about other types of animals that are used, for example, for bullfighting or those that are used as beasts of burden. That is tremendously painful, we strongly oppose that. And, we also demand that the next (politicians) taking up office here in this country, like mayors, governors, and municipal council members, put aside money in their budgets. We need funds to generate policies and plans that guarantee the life of animals in Colombia." PEOPLE MARCHING THROUGH STREET, SOME HOLDING SIGNS WITH IMAGES OF ANIMAL MISTREATMENT PEOPLE AT MARCH CHANTING (Spanish) "WE ARE THE VOICE OF THE ANIMALS, WE ARE THE VOICE OF THOSE THAT DON'T HAVE A VOICE" SMALL DOG BARKING DURING PROTEST VARIOUS, PERSON DRESSED IN BULL COSTUME, HOLDING SIGN READING (Spanish) "NO MORE OLE" DOG BARKING AT CAMERA VARIOUS, DOGS MARCHING WITH PEOPLE
- Embargoed: 15th September 2019 23:24
- Keywords: Pets law animals bullfighting march dogs protection protest rights mistreatment
- Location: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- City: BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AUTUDDV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: People and their pets marched together in the streets of Bogota, Colombia on Sunday (September 01) to demand their government do more to protect animals from mistreatment and abuse.
Marchers walked alongside their furry friends while chanting "we are the voice of the animals," as others carried signs with images of victims of animal abuse.
An organizer of Sunday's march, Rosa Juliana Herrera, told Reuters the march is meant to demand politicians use their authority to implement policies to halt animal abuse.
Local media reported that similar marches occurred in some ten other Colombian cities on Sunday.
(Production: Javier Andres Rojas)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None