- Title: "We all should remember what happenedâ€- Poles commemorate start of WW2
- Date: 1st September 2019
- Summary: WOMEN WATCHING CEREMONY GIRL SITTING ON MAN'S SHOULDERS, WAVING POLISH FLAG AS NATIONAL ANTHEM IS BEING PLAYED PEOPLE SINGING POLISH NATIONAL ANTHEM
- Embargoed: 15th September 2019 17:26
- Keywords: Poland WW2 World War Two Mike Pence U.S. Germany
- Location: WARSAW, POLAND
- City: WARSAW, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA004AUTSVNR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: SOUNDBITE USED IN SHOT 6 IS ALSO INCLUDED IN EDIT 7104
Poles gathered in Warsaw's central square on Sunday (September 1) to remind themselves of a terrible part of the nation's history, as they watched a ceremony marking 80 years since the start of World War Two.
"Since our childhood, it has been instilled into our minds that we all should remember what happened on September 1, 1939," 47-year-old Ewelina Kies told Reuters, adding that the memory of this event was very important and should be passed on to younger generations.
U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and German Chancellor Angela Merkel were among delegates from over 40 countries who came to Warsaw to pay tribute to the courage of the Polish people.
Few places suffered the level of death and destruction seen in Poland. It lost about a fifth of its population, including the vast majority of its three million Jewish citizens. After the war, shattered Warsaw had to rise again from ruins and Poland remained under Soviet domination until 1989.
(Production: Dato Chkhikvishvili, Jaroslaw Gawlowski, Malgorzata Wojtunik)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.